Effective Date: October 1, 2017
Paragraph 1. Thank you for visiting the LA ORIGINAL website! This is a legally-binding agreement between us and you (each a “Party” and, collectively, the “Parties”), and by subscribing to, registering with, accessing, or using or Services (defined in Paragraph 2 below), you are entering a binding contract with us regarding the collection, storage, maintenance, protection, use, and disclosure of your personal information (the “Policy”).
- We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through compliance with this Policy.
- Your agreement with us includes this Policy as well as our Terms and Service (the “Terms”) (accessible at https://laoriginal.com/pages/terms-and-conditions/) (together, the Terms and Policy are collectively referred to as the “Agreements”).
- PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POLICY CAREFULLY to understand our practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
- YOUR USE OF SERVICES CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THIS POLICY, including all the rights and responsibilities of the Parties set forth below. By downloading, registering with, accessing, or using our Services, you agree to this Policy.
- This Policy may change from time to time (see Paragraph 16 below), and we may change this Policy without your consent and without notifying You about the changes. Your continued use of our Services after we make changes to this Policy constitutes your acceptance of those changes, so please check the Policy periodically for updates.
- IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THIS POLICY, DO NOT DOWNLOAD, REGISTER WITH, ACCESS, OR USE OUR SERVICES.
Paragraph 2. Definitions
- “Company”, “we”, “us”, and/or “our” means The Mayor’s Fund for Los Angeles, a California nonprofit public benefit corporation, with a business address at 200 North Spring Street, Room 305B, Los Angeles, CA 90012, and includes all of our subsidiaries, parents, affiliates, agents, employees, predecessors in interest, successors, designees, and assigns.
- “User”, “you”, or “your” means you, a user of our Services.
- “Services” means the entire LA ORIGINAL platform and all functionality, features, works, intellectual property, and content thereof. Services may be offered throughout the known universe and across all forms of technologies that we make available to you. Services include, without limitation, our website (including all subpages and successor pages), regardless of how or where you access or use the platform, functionality, features, works, intellectual property, or content.
Paragraph 3. Scope of the Policy.
This Policy sets forth:
- The types of Information we collect and that you provide when you subscribe to, download, register with, access, and use our Services; and
- Our practices for collecting, storing, maintaining, protecting, using, and disclosing that information.
- This Policy applies only to information we collect through our Services and in all email, text, and other electronic communications sent through or in connection with our Services.
This Policy DOES NOT apply to information that:
- We collect offline;
- We collect through interactions with you not involving our Services; and
- You provide to or is collected by any third party (see Paragraph 8 below).
- Other Company apps or websites that are not a part of the Services, as well as any apps or websites of third parties, may have their own privacy policies, which we encourage you to read before providing information on or through them.
- This Policy sets forth:
Paragraph 4. Children Under the Age of 13.
- Our services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
- If you are a minor between the ages of 13 and 18 (or the applicable legal age in your jurisdiction), you may provide this information only in conjunction with, and under the supervision of, your parent or guardian who has agreed to our Terms. If you are a parent or legal guardian agreeing to the Terms for the benefit of a minor between the ages of 13 and 18 (or the applicable legal age in your jurisdiction), you are fully responsible for his or her use of our Services and the information he or she may provide.
Paragraph 5. Overview of Information We Collect and How We Collect It. We collect information from and about users of our Services:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us (Paragraph 6 below); and
- Automatically when you use our Services (Paragraph 7- Paragraph 8 below).
Paragraph 6. Information You Provide to Us.
- When you subscribe to, download, register with, access, or use our Services, you may provide information by which you may be personally identified, such as your email address and any other information our Services collect that is defined as personal or personally identifiable information under an applicable law, and any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“Personal Information”).
- When you subscribe to, register with, access, or use our Services, you may also provide information that is about you but individually does not identify you, including, without limitation, your zip code, time zone, or other approximate geographic location; your state and/or country of residence (“Non-Identifying Information”).
- You may further provide information to be published or displayed (a.k.a., “Posted”) on public areas of our Services (“User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are Posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although you may intend for your User Contributions to be seen by only certain other users of our Services, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of third parties with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
- You may provide Personal Information and Non-Identifying Information through:
- Forms that you may fill out, such as when subscribing to, registering with, accessing, or using our Services;
- Forms that you may fill out to report a problem or seek technical assistance with the Services;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses and phone numbers), if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes;
- Your search queries across our Services; or
- Any other way by which you interact with or use our Services.
- We do not require you provide any Personal Information to access or use our Services.
Paragraph 7. Information We Automatically Collect from You.
When you download, register with, access, and use our Services, we may use technology to automatically collect:
- Usage Details. When you download, register, access, and/or use our Services, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through our Services.
- Device Information. We may collect information about your mobile device and internet connection, including the device's unique device identifier, IP address, operating system, browser type, mobile network information, and the device's telephone number.
- Stored Information and Files. Our Services may collect information in the course of accessing metadata and other information associated with other files stored on your device, which may include, without limitation, photographs; and audio and video clips.
- Location Information. We may collect real-time or historical information about the location of your device.
- We do not offer a way to opt-out of automatic collection of your information. If you do not want us to collect information from you, do not download, register with, access, or use Our Services and delete our Services from your device.
- The technologies we use for automatic information collection may include “Cookies” or “Mobile Cookies” which mean a small file placed on your device by our Services for purposes related to your access and use of our Services.
- Please note that it may be possible to refuse to accept a Cookie or Mobile Cookie by activating the appropriate setting on your device. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain components of our Services.
- Web Beacons. Our services may contain small electronic files known as “Web Beacons” (a.k.a., “clear gifs”, “pixel tags”, and “single-pixel gifs”) that permit Company, for example, to count users who have visited a particular webpage or opened a particular e-mail and for other statistics and data related to our Services (for example, recording the popularity of certain content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Google Analytics. We may use a tool called “Google Analytics” to collect information about use of our Services. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit our Services, what webpages they visit when they do so, and what other websites they use prior to coming to our Services. We use the information we get from Google Analytics only to improve our Services. You can prevent Google Analytics from recognizing you on return visits to our Services by disabling cookies on your device or browser.
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Services may use local stored objects (“Flash Cookies”) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and across our Services. Please note that Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- When you download, register with, access, and use our Services, we may use technology to automatically collect:
Paragraph 8. Information That May Be Collected by Third-Parties.
When you use our Services, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. Third parties may include, without limitation:
- Advertisers, ad networks, and ad servers.
- Analytics companies;
- Your device manufacturer;
- Your mobile or internet service provider; and
- Social media channels and accounts that may link to, connect with, register with, or otherwise access our Services.
- These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use our Services. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps, and other online services websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based advertising or other targeted content.
- We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, contact the responsible third party directly.
- When you use our Services, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. Third parties may include, without limitation:
Paragraph 9. How We Use Your Information.
We may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, for the following purposes including, without limitation, to:
- Provide you with our Services and its contents, and any other information, products or services that you request from us;
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide or we collect the information;
- Provide You with customized content, including targeted advertising;
- Speed up your searches;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Services to your individual interests;
- Notify you of changes or updates to our Services;
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Track user traffic and usage information, and to create, analyze, and share aggregate information;
- Learn about where you use our Services;
- Provide third party hosting of Our Services;
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including the purposes of billing and collection;
- Identify, research, and protect against any actual, potential or threatened misuse, unauthorized use, or unwanted use of any of our Services, including but not limited to researching any claims made by or about other users and/or about our Services, and such efforts of which may include information provided from third-party sources;
- For any reason that we, in our sole discretion, determine to be necessary or required to ensure the safety and integrity of our users and our Services; or
- For any other purpose with your consent.
- We may use the information you provide or we collect to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
- We may use information you provide and we collect to administer and improve our Services. We may use this information in a de-identified, aggregated, and anonymous way to monitor and analyze use of the Services, and to increase the Services’ functionality and user-friendliness.
- We do not use or disclose this information to third parties for the purpose of advertising or marketing in any way. We also do not share any user data collected via a Third-Party Device without your consent.
- We may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, for the following purposes including, without limitation, to:
Paragraph 10. Disclosure of Your Information.
- We may disclose, without restriction, Non-Identifying information as well as aggregated or anonymized information that does not identify you or your device.
In addition, we may disclose Personal Information:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our Services or other business, and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about users of our Services is among the assets transferred;
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; or
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Other Types of Third-Party Disclosures. To the fullest extent of applicable law, we may disclose information you provide or we collect:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- To enforce our rights arising the Agreements, including this Policy and the Terms, including the purposes of billing and collection; and
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our users, or others, including exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Paragraph 11. Your Choices About Our Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Your Information.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. The following mechanisms may permit you to control certain uses and disclosures of your information:
- Location Information. You can choose whether to allow our Services to collect and use real-time information about your device’s location through your device’s privacy settings.
- Promotion by the Company. If you do not want us to use your information to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by not providing your e-mail address or other Personal Information or by unsubscribing from any e-mail correspondence we send you by following the directions provided in such e-mail correspondence.
- We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way.
- We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. The following mechanisms may permit you to control certain uses and disclosures of your information:
- Paragraph 12. Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information. You may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. If we delete your Personal Information, you will not receive any e-mail correspondence from us about the Services. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be misleading, fraudulent, or false. Changes or deletions of Personal Information may take up to 90 days to take effect in our system.
- Paragraph 13. Use of Services Outside the United States. Our Services are hosted in the United States. If you use the Services from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you may be transferring your information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. By providing information through the Services, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Paragraph 14. Your California Privacy Rights.
Our Disclosure Obligations Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83.
- If You are a California resident, the California Civil Code (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.83) gives you the right to request information on how to exercise your disclosure choice options from companies conducting business in California. To request such information, either send an email to email@example.com or contact us via postal mail, postage pre-paid, at: The Mayor’s Fund for Los Angeles, Attn: LA ORIGINAL Website Privacy Rights, 200 North Spring Street, Room 305B, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
- All requests sent via postal mail must be labeled “Your California Privacy Rights” on the envelope or post card and clearly stated on the actual request. For all requests, please include your name, street address (if you would like a response via postal mail), city, state, and zip code. We will not accept requests via telephone or fax. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
- California Do Not Track Disclosure. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals in browsers. While we collect personally identifiable information from you as described earlier in this Policy, we do not collect personally identifiable information from you to monitor your online activities across third party websites or online services.
- Our Disclosure Obligations Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83.
Paragraph 15. Data Security.
- We use measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted through our Services. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide.
- We may update this Policy from time to time. If we make material changes to how we treat your personal information, we will post the new Policy on this page with a notice that the Policy has been updated.
- The “Effective Date” of the Policy is the date on which this Policy was last amended and is set forth at the beginning of this of this document. You are responsible for periodically visiting this Policy to check for any changes.
Paragraph 17. Miscellaneous.
- Dispute Resolution. All disputes, claims, or controversies that arise out of this Policy, as well as any non-contractual disputes or claims arising out of, in connection with, or relating to this Policy, will be resolved according to the Dispute Resolution provisions set forth in Paragraph 17 of the Terms (accessible at https://laoriginal.com/pages/terms-and-conditions/).
- Governing Law. This Policy, and all Disputes thereto, are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regard to the principals of conflicts of laws.
- Entire Agreement. This Policy constitutes the entire agreement of the Parties concerning the Parties’ rights and responsibilities regarding the collection, storage, maintenance, protection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. No prior written or oral negotiations, agreements or representations are of any further force or effect.
- The Parties hereto recognize that if, after the date of execution of this Policy, any provision of this Policy is held to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable, such provision is fully severable and the remainder of the Policy will remain in full force and effect.
- Drafting Considerations. Certain clauses may begin with a Short, Bold-Faced Heading and may feature typographic emphasis including words in bold face, underline, or ALL CAPS. All such headings and typographical emphasis are strictly for ease of reading this Policy and may not be considered in the construction, interpretation, or enforcement of this Policy or any clause thereof. “Capitalized Terms” (each term is bracketed by quotation marks (") in its first appearance) are defined terms for the specific purposes of this Policy and have the definitions ascribed to them by this Policy.